The first step towards a healthy life is acknowledging that you have a problem. Drug addiction is a complex illness and it should be treated appropriately.
Why You Need a Planned Course of Treatment
Intake of drugs usually starts at lower dosage. However, rapidly the body develops resistance to pleasure stimulating effects of the drug. To counteract this, users start taking higher dosage. By the time they realize that they want to quit, they are in deep addiction.
Sudden discontinuation of drugs produces withdrawal symptoms such as vomiting, severe headache, inability to concentrate, even physical pain. This is because the drug changes and resends our normal physiological functions in a manner that a certain amount of it needs to be present in circulation at all times to maintain normal activity of physiological systems. A drug rehab can help you with gradual and effective de-addiction.
Components of Effective Drug Rehabilitation Facility
- Treatment needs to be individualized. Every person has specific and varied issues to deal with and they must be handled separately.
- Treatment course must be followed through for its complete duration. If you quit in between there is high chance that you may relapse and end up where you started.
- Psychological rehabilitation must be accompanied with rational use of medications. Medications for the treatment of withdrawal symptoms, for reconstitution of normal physiology, for depression and other psychological issues as well as for diseases associated with drug abuse are an essential component.
- An individual must realize that detoxification is the only first step in the treatment. They must learn how to maintain this condition.
- Program must also assess patients for infection that can be spread by sharing needles. For this reason a high incidence of HIV, Hep B and Hep C are found among drug users. They are also more susceptible to contracting infections such as Tuberculosis, given their poor immune status due to chronic drug abuse. Facilities must be adequately equipped with doctors to handle such associated diseases, as well as psychologists to handle emotional consequences of such a diagnosis.
Withdrawal Medicines: Low dosage of drugs or structurally similar medicines can be maintained in circulation to avoid excruciating withdrawal symptoms and remaining ones can be treated symptomatically.
Treatment Medication: For opioid narcotics, methadone, buprenorphine and naltrexone have been found to be effective. Former two act on same receptors as morphine and its group of drugs. This way, they relieve withdrawal symptoms. Naltrexone blocks action of morphine on its receptors hence prior detoxification is essential.
This can be outpatient or residential. Outpatient treatment can be done by
- Personal Cognitive Behavioral Therapy wherein they plan and avoid triggers.
- Multidimensional Family Therapy
- Motivational Incentives
Drug addiction is treatable. With proper care, affected individuals can re-gain a completely normal life.
Joe Wright works with one of the most dependable drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers, and they offer holistic wellness programs at their residential treatment facilities. If you have made up your mind to get rid of your addiction, please check out their website to see the treatments offered at their drug rehab center.